Assignment: Legal and Ethical Issues Related to Psychiatric Emergencies
Review this week’s Lear To Prepare
· Review this week’s Learning Resources and consider the insights they provide about psychiatric emergencies and the ethical and legal issues surrounding these events.
In 2–3 pages, address the following:
· Explain your state laws for involuntary psychiatric holds for child and adult psychiatric emergencies. Include who can hold a patient and for how long, who can release the emergency hold, and who can pick up the patient after a hold is released.
· Explain the differences among emergency hospitalization for evaluation/psychiatric hold, inpatient commitment, and outpatient commitment in your state.
· Explain the difference between capacity and competency in mental health contexts.
· Select one of the following topics, and explain one legal issue and one ethical issue related to this topic that may apply within the context of treating psychiatric emergencies: patient autonomy, EMTALA, confidentiality, HIPAA privacy rule, HIPAA security rule, protected information, legal gun ownership, career obstacles (security clearances/background checks), and payer source.
· Identify one evidence-based suicide risk assessment that you could use to screen patients.
· ning Resources and consider the insights they provide about psychiatric emergencies and the ethical and legal issues surrounding these events.