NETW 585 Network Design and Management All Course Projects Midterm and Final Exam
Week 1 Course Project; Topic Choice
Week 3 Course Project; First Draft
Week 7 Course Project; Final Network Design Plan
Week 4 Midterm
- (TCO A) When working on a design, what are some of the typical business goals you can expect to find for today’s organizations? Why is it important for you to identify these?
- (TCO A) What are the main phases of network design per the PDIOO approach often taught by Cisco?
- (TCO B) When analyzing protocol behavior and traffic load, explain the difference between relative and absolute network utilization.
- (TCO B) What factors do you look for to help you decide if the existing network can effectively support new enhancements?
- (TCO C) Define the five types of network management processes according to the ISO.
- (TCO C) What are some advantages and disadvantages of using centralized network management versus distributed network management?
- (TCO C) What are some advantages and disadvantages of using in-band network management versus out-of-band network management?
- (TCO C) List and explain the function of all three layers of Cisco’s hierarchical network design.
- (TCO D) Discuss connectivity technologies for supporting remote users. Be sure to compare and contrast them and talk about at least three different ones.
- (TCO D) What are some characteristics you will want to consider when selecting network devices for your design? List at least five.
Week 8 Final Exam
- (TCO A) Why is scalability an important network design goal? What are some challenges designers face when taking scalability into account in their design? (Points : 25)
- (TCO A) Why is understanding an organization’s technical goals necessary when working on a design? List and explain in detail at least three of these goals. (Points : 25)
- (TCO B) List and describe at least four different network traffic factors that must be analyzed when evaluating the traffic on a network. (Points : 25)
- (TCO B) What factors should be considered when characterizing the infrastructure of a network? (Points : 25)
- (TCO C) Define autonomous system. How do interior routing protocols differ from external routing protocols? (Points : 25)
- (TCO C) List at least four ways you know that you have developed a good network design. (Points : 25)
- (TCO C) For Cisco’s three-layer hierarchical model for network design, list the layers and explain their roles. What guidelines should a network designer follow when using the hierarchical model? (Points : 25)
- (TCO D) What are the most important criteria for selecting a WAN service provider? List and explain at least five. (Points : 25)
- (TCO D) Describe the difference between centralized and distributed cable topologies and give an example of each.
- (TCO E) What is regression testing? Why is regression testing usually an important part of network testing? (Points : 25)
- (TCO E) Describe the four types of network testing typically performed. (Points : 25)
- (TCO F) List and briefly describe at least five key steps in the process of designing a good security strategy. (Points : 25)