I’m trying to learn for my Psychology class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Address the following two scenarios:
- Susie Sad has been in treatment with you for six months. During sessions, both of you have determined that couples counseling is necessary. Couples counseling is not a service that you provide and you have not had courses or additional training in this area.
- What should you do?
- What are the possible problems should you not do this?
- How might the situation involve an ethical violation?
- What if it is an emergency? Not an emergency?
- Suppose, in response to Susie’s needs, you decide to develop competence as a couples therapist and you do not currently have this area of expertise.
- What does the APA ethics code require of you to accomplish this?
- What does your state require? ( Georgia