I’m trying to study for my Law course and I need some help to understand this question.
Offenders with addictions are often required to participate in a twelve-step program such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous as a condition of their probation or parole. Locate and read through the twelve steps carefully, then address these questions:
- Review and summarize the twelve-step program. Are there any drawbacks to these programs?
- Cite data that indicates whether they are successful. Are programs such as these appropriate for the purpose of rehabilitating a probationer?
- Explain your reasoning, keeping in mind that these programs were not necessarily designed for offenders but rather to help those with addictions.
- Can we prevent future criminal behavior by removing the problem that caused the offender to break the law in the first place, or do you believe in the classical notion that criminals make rational choices when they decide to commit a crime?
- How would your answer to the above question affect the way you approach your job as a probation officer?